LOL Not enough money for your weaboo shit

λ-calculus

λ-calculus

Documenting my journey to the sewer
Oct 24, 2023
for the last 8 months I haven't done a single productive thing, I just stay home wasting my time. You know how the say lost time is never found? Well I want to make something productive out of my time, so I decided to learn Japanese. It would greatly increase the number of weaboo shit I can engage in, especially I would finally be able to read the third and final part of the kara no shojo trilogy, so I thought doing some Japanese lessons was the perfect thing to start being more productive. I did some research, found a decent language learning academy, called them and asked them everything. Then I asked my parents if I could maybe enroll. They asked me why Japanese and not Chinese, since Chinese is the language of the future or whatever, they concluded I only wanted to learn Japanese becase of anime (which is kind of true) and told me they didn't have money for that (even though it's not even that expensive).

I've decided I'm still gonna learn Japanese, using illegally downloaded books on Japanese grammar and using whatever free resources I can find online, but it still kind of stings that my parents are willing to spend thousands of dollars on useless therapy and medication for me, that literally does nothing, but they can't spend a few dozen in something that I would actually enjoy and that would make me happier. Those anti depressants sure are helping.

Anyways, do any of you speak Japanese? Is it really as hard as people say?

Unemployed

Unemployed

McMahonist
Nov 28, 2020
Anyways, do any of you speak Japanese? Is it really as hard as people say?
I did two courses of Japanese back in 2017.

vince mcmahon wrestling GIF by WWE

Lain

Lain

NEET
Jul 19, 2021
It's not hard but it does require a lot of time and dedication. I learned hiragana+katakana+like 300-400 kanji, one of the websites I was using that I liked a lot is Wanikani. The ideal strategy to learn since you aren't going to a school for it is:

1. Wanikani (or anki notes which is similar for free)
2. Grammar lessons off YouTube
3. Immersion with raw anime with Japanese subs, talking to Japanese people over Discord in text chat, over VC, books for children to start off

I didn't have the dedication to keep learning and I stopped like 2 years ago but I was making solid progress in a fast period of time. When I think back though, nothing was hard to learn, kanji might seem like it's complicated to learn but after reviewing anki notes for a while, it's burnt into your brain, there's still a lot of kanji I remember even though I stopped studying a long time ago. It just takes times and a routine learning an hour or two daily for years.

Lain

Lain

NEET
Jul 19, 2021
I think I only spent 1.5 months studying? 2 months? And I'd only study for an hour a day or so. If I kept at it, I would know the 2k kanji that's recommended for fluency and probably be reading a decent level by now, I don't regret it though, I already know I'm not a dedicated person.

λ-calculus

λ-calculus

Oct 24, 2023
I think I only spent 1.5 months studying? 2 months? And I'd only study for an hour a day or so. If I kept at it, I would know the 2k kanji that's recommended for fluency and probably be reading a decent level by now, I don't regret it though, I already know I'm not a dedicated person.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check out that website wanikani. My plan so far is to first, spend about a year reading grammar books, watching grammar videos on Youtube and reading general Japanese learning articles on the internet for free. After that then I was planning to move onto phase 2, where I would start memorizing a lot of Kanji and words using Anki. Basically I was planning 15 new words per day using anki. The only types of words I would memorize would be nouns, verbs and adjectives, everything else I can memorize without anki.

Every time I learn a words, I would learn all relevant information related to that words, so for example when I was learning German and I wanted to learn a noun I also had to memorize the gender of the noun and the plural, I 'm not sure if Japanese has gender for nouns or plural, but I plan to do something similar.

λ-calculus

λ-calculus

Oct 24, 2023
Honestly same about motivation, that's partially the reason why I wanted a language academy instead of self-learning, because having a structure, with specific days to attend classes at a specific time, does a lot more for your motivation than having no set times at all. Also knowing that you're paying for it (or your parents are paying for it) makes you want to attend every day.

Activity
So far there's no one here