Serious Education blackpill (Why the Education System Is a Waste of Time and Money)

Based Vampire

Based Vampire

Sleep late, and read trashy books!
Mar 23, 2023
Basically, we just learn a lot of useless stuff that we won't use throughout most of our lives. The whole purpose of education is to get a damn degree which is used as a way to signal your 'positive' traits (being smart, hardworking - doing boring shit for no reason that is, and compliant) to a potential employer. It's not about getting the right skills. At least (or especially) when it comes to liberal arts.

I suggest you guys watch the whole thing or at least the first 30-40 minutes, interesting stuff. Or read the wikipedia excerpts I provided below

The foundation of the drive to increase educational attainment across the board is the human capital model of education, which began with the research of Gary Becker. The model suggests that increasing educational attainment causes increased prosperity by endowing students with increased skills. As a consequence, subsidies to education are seen as a positive investment that increases economic growth and creates spillover effects by improving civic engagement, happiness, health, etc.

The main alternative to the human capital model of education is the signaling model of education. The idea of job market signaling through educational attainment goes back to the work of Michael Spence. The model Spence developed suggested that, even if a student did not gain any skills through an educational program, the program can still be useful so long as the signal from completing the program is correlated with traits that predict job performance.

Throughout the book, Caplan details a series of observations that suggest a significant role for signaling in the return to education:
- Intelligence and conscientiousness are known predictors of educational and occupational success, and are relatively stable throughout a person's life;
- Many students forget material over the summer and after the end of a class;
- Adults tend to forget much of the information they learned in school;
- Students look to take courses that offer easy As, instead of more difficult courses;
- Transfer of learning to other disciplines appears to be low or nonexistent;
- The sheepskin effect seems to be fairly large (people possessing a completed academic degree earn a greater income than people who have an equivalent amount of studying without possessing an academic degree);
- International estimates of the effect of an additional year of education on national income are much lower than those estimating the impact of an additional year of education on personal income;

For many students, Caplan argues that most of the negative social return to pursuing further education comes from the incursion of student debt and lost employment opportunities for students who are unlikely to complete college. He suggests that these students would be better served by vocational education (basically any education that gives you actual job skills).

Caplan advocates two major policy responses to the problem of signaling in education. The first recommendation is that government needs to sharply cut education funding, since public education spending in the United States across all levels tops $1 trillion annually. he second recommendation is to encourage greater vocational education, because students who are unlikely to succeed in college should develop practical skills to function in the labor market. Caplan argues for an increased emphasis on vocational education that is similar in nature to the systems in Germany and Switzerland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Case_Against_Education
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheepskin_effect

Last edited:
uglyboi1

uglyboi1

neet for almost 9 yrs never worked hand atrophy
Dec 12, 2021
The degree is usually useless for the career you end up in (unless it's STEM or finance), it just shows that you are a fucking normshit fucker who bends the knee and isn't retarded.

anon1822fourthacc

anon1822fourthacc

I want to be the richest man in Laos! I love Laos!
Nov 25, 2022
Nice I think I made a few posts about this (though much less researched, just ranting). Honestly I think the educational system is a crime against humanity, I honestly do.

N

NotSTYX

NEET
Jun 21, 2023
I recently read a distinguised PhD's (from one of the world's top Philosophy departments) newest paper. I found it extremely flawed and was confused how he could be so stupid, despite not even having GCSEs myself. This shocked me to realise just how large the difference in aptitude between elite PhD holders and myself is. After this, I was horrified to realise that if someone who has probably 130-140 I.Q. seems so stupid to me, just how bad is the average person? The main reason I quit school when I was young was because I was extremely bored despite being accelerated multiple grades.

Therefore, if I chose a vocational job, I would likely soon after have to order sodium nitrite. Universities might not be perfect, but they are still the best option for me, which is why I will be getting into one in the next few years. Learning the so called "useless knowledge" that isn't practical is what prevents me from using my intellect to help design programs for eugenics out of my frustration and hatred for the human race.

Based Vampire

Based Vampire

Sleep late, and read trashy books!
Mar 23, 2023
Learning the so called "useless knowledge"
yeah it's comfy. The whole point of my original post is that it's useless society-wise and state-budget-wise. And for some people who will never use this while working their jobs. But you can still utilize the education if you want to. For one, it's still much better than wageslaving

Activity
So far there's no one here