Sports betting as a NEET - Thoughts?

Asylum Patient

Asylum Patient

I want money
May 13, 2021
Inspired by @NEETzschean[UWSL]’[/UWSL]s post about money making options for NEETs, I wondered if some of you ever tried sports betting?
I personally tried that for some years by betting on MMA fights (UFC) without a lot of success. I won some bets and lost some bets, like up and down mountain charts in the stock market.

Now I am well aware that MMA is probably one of the worst sports to bet on because of it[UWSL]’[/UWSL]s chaotic nature. Anything can and will happen in an MMA fight, trust me. Another huge problem is that they use a very outdated 10-point must scoring system from boxing to score the fights. So if the fight goes to decision you get screwed over a lot. There are a lot of cases where 95% of the worldwide audience thought fighter A won and the incompetent judges still score the fight for fighter B in a split decision. :feelsree:

If they came up with a better scoring system and more/competent judges this could be a nice way of making some money as a NEET imo.
Did you ever tried it? What sport did you bet on? You ever tried betting on e-sports or something? Any success?

Asylum Patient

Asylum Patient

I want money
May 13, 2021
This. I'd only ever bet on football
Problem is I just can't bring it over me to watch football again, developed a dislike for it over the years. MMA might be the only sport in the world I am interested in (maybe e-sports too, will look into it), which makes it much easier to watch some tape of the fighters when doing some research.
Sure you could just bet on matches without watching the actual sport by following betting tips and reading about the sport...but that makes it very exhausting imo.

Last edited:
Asylum Patient

Asylum Patient

I want money
May 13, 2021
bet on csgo matches
I won some money when I betted on LoL matches in 2019. Its pretty easy to guess winners in Korea and very hard in China.
You know what I really might look into the whole e-sports betting world.
Are there any good places to get into it? Like csgo or LoL betting forums/ websites/ YouTube Channels?

rottingkyre

rottingkyre

NEET
Jun 3, 2021
You know what I really might look into the whole e-sports betting world.
Are there any good places to get into it? Like csgo or LoL betting forums/ websites/ YouTube Channels?
Not sure, you just have watch teams, learn players and staff that coaches them. Esports is better than football because there are only 2 options instead of 3 for winning. In lol smalloption of who is gonna get first baron is easy money when you know how teams play. China is most even league with most players from youth academys so I wouldnt bet on them.

NEETzschean

NEETzschean

NEET
Dec 17, 2020
Inspired by @NEETzschean[UWSL]’[/UWSL]s post about money making options for NEETs, I wondered if some of you ever tried sports betting?
I personally tried that for some years by betting on MMA fights (UFC) without a lot of success. I won some bets and lost some bets, like up and down mountain charts in the stock market.

Now I am well aware that MMA is probably one of the worst sports to bet on because of it[UWSL]’[/UWSL]s chaotic nature. Anything can and will happen in an MMA fight, trust me. Another huge problem is that they use a very outdated 10-point must scoring system from boxing to score the fights. So if the fight goes to decision you get screwed over a lot. There are a lot of cases where 95% of the worldwide audience thought fighter A won and the incompetent judges still score the fight for fighter B in a split decision. :feelsree:

If they came up with a better scoring system and more/competent judges this could be a nice way of making some money as a NEET imo.
Did you ever tried it? What sport did you bet on? You ever tried betting on e-sports or something? Any success?
MMA is less reliable to predict than boxing because fighters can improve more fight on fight as there is much more to learn and improve on in a multi-disciplinary sport. There are smaller gloves to attack and defend with as well as weaker chins for punches, increasing the puncher's chance. There is no 10 count so it's easy to follow up and finish the fight after a knock-down. Fighters have a lot more than just punches to worry about, making them more vulnerable and underdogs usually have more tools to win than in boxing. There is also a higher chance of a NC or DQ due to the more obscure nature of the rules and the chance of a fight-ending eyepoke. Something like 60% of MMA fights are finished within the distance, 40% go to decision. Incompetence may be a factor in judging but there is often corruption involved, so the more marketable fighter often gets an undeserved points win (from what I've seen the corruption is more extreme in boxing, making decision wins more predictable). You have to be aware of who the corruption is likely to favour before you bet. Also the judges are positioned in different places overviewing the Octagon, they don't get the same view or angle we do and thus may judge the fights differently.

The chaotic nature of MMA should in theory give you better odds than you will get on boxing but I don't know if this is the case. I've only been betting for the last 4 months and only 3/19 of my bets were on MMA, with the rest on boxing. My 2nd and 3rd biggest wins were MMA bets though. I would have added another big MMA win a couple of weeks ago but it ended as a no contest due to an accidental eyepoke and the eyepoked fighter being able to quit without a loss, fortunately I got my money back.

I only really enjoy watching boxing and MMA and I don't think I'd be good at betting on something I didn't enjoy. I don't know as much about soccer but from what I've seen it's very difficult to predict who will win in these games with a lot of consistency. Draws are also more frequent in that sport than any other major sport, adding further complexity.

I wouldn't recommend gambling to most NEETs. It's not a reliable source of income and the vast majority of people lose, especially in the long-term. It's potentially addictive and a considerable drain on one's time and energy, as well as one's money. If you gamble on something you need to have a lot of knowledge and interest in that area, as well as a logical and calculating mind. I would still advise caution though: one big loss can more than erase ten wins. And people have a destructive tendency to chase losses, compounding their misery.​

Asylum Patient

Asylum Patient

I want money
May 13, 2021
MMA is less reliable to predict than boxing because fighters can improve more fight on fight as there is much more to learn and improve on in a multi-disciplinary sport. There are smaller gloves to attack and defend with as well as weaker chins for punches, increasing the puncher's chance. There is no 10 count so it's easy to follow up and finish the fight after a knock-down. Fighters have a lot more than just punches to worry about, making them more vulnerable and underdogs usually have more tools to win than in boxing. There is also a higher chance of a NC or DQ due to the more obscure nature of the rules and the chance of a fight-ending eyepoke. Something like 60% of MMA fights are finished within the distance, 40% go to decision. Incompetence may be a factor in judging but there is often corruption involved, so the more marketable fighter often gets an undeserved points win (from what I've seen the corruption is more extreme in boxing, making decision wins more predictable). You have to be aware of who the corruption is likely to favour before you bet. Also the judges are positioned in different places overviewing the Octagon, they don't get the same view or angle we do and thus may judge the fights differently.

The chaotic nature of MMA should in theory give you better odds than you will get on boxing but I don't know if this is the case. I've only been betting for the last 4 months and only 3/19 of my bets were on MMA, with the rest on boxing. My 2nd and 3rd biggest wins were MMA bets though. I would have added another big MMA win a couple of weeks ago but it ended as a no contest due to an accidental eyepoke and the eyepoked fighter being able to quit without a loss, fortunately I got my money back.

I only really enjoy watching boxing and MMA and I don't think I'd be good at betting on something I didn't enjoy. I don't know as much about soccer but from what I've seen it's very difficult to predict who will win in these games with a lot of consistency. Draws are also more frequent in that sport than any other major sport, adding further complexity.

I wouldn't recommend gambling to most NEETs. It's not a reliable source of income and the vast majority of people lose, especially in the long-term. It's potentially addictive and a considerable drain on one's time and energy, as well as one's money. If you gamble on something you need to have a lot of knowledge and interest in that area, as well as a logical and calculating mind. I would still advise caution though: one big loss can more than erase ten wins. And people have a destructive tendency to chase losses, compounding their misery.​
That sums everything up perfectly. (y)

vomit

vomit

NEET
Dec 19, 2020
Screenshot from 2021 06 23 21 11 12

maharsha

maharsha

NEET
Jun 26, 2021
My last foray into the world of sports betting started with a one-off deposit of $100 and ended in my losing ~$1200 in an hour. I mostly bet on soccer, basketball, ice hockey, and volleyball. I had a decent record for like two weeks and even deluded myself into believing that my days as an impecunious NEET were over, but then came a series of bad beats, which triggered a breakdown, which in turn led to terrible bets. If you're looking to make a quick buck, you can bet on which team would score first in basketball - pure chance, and results in approximately 60 seconds.

Asylum Patient

Asylum Patient

I want money
May 13, 2021
I had a decent record for like two weeks and even deluded myself into believing that my days as an impecunious NEET were over, but then came a series of bad beats, which triggered a breakdown, which in turn led to terrible bets.
I completely feel you on that. I was also doing well because I knew a lot about the sport and was doing a lot of research too. One night I even managed to hit a 7 fight parlay (5$ to win 250$).[UWSL][UWSL] But then greed takes over and you keep on betting, making stupid emotional bets chasing after your losses.[/UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][UWSL]Like I said earlier I might look into the whole esports world but not sure what to think of it, will be very careful there.[/UWSL][/UWSL]

CelticKHV

CelticKHV

NEET
Mar 19, 2021
Damn that's rough, sorry to hear that. What sport did you bet on?
All sports, I usually did over 0.5 goals and over 1.5 goals. Sometimes it worked but whenever you see three 0-0 goals in a row it would make me very angry Indeed. If I was in the stadium I probably would have strangled the players.

Asylum Patient

Asylum Patient

I want money
May 13, 2021
I have lost thousands.
Seems to be the fate for most bettors out there, sorry to hear that.
Really might be wise to just stay far away from betting.

Activity
So far there's no one here