Psychology of hugging men

• Thread starter Looksmax Refugee
  • Start date
Looksmax Refugee

Looksmax Refugee

-
Feb 28, 2021
I can't hug a guy. Why? Because I can only hug things that are cute. Men are generally not cute. Maybe if a cute feminine twink comes along I'll hug him, but never a normal looking guy.

K

kaang

lurkercel
Oct 29, 2021
daniel bryan hug GIF by WWE

Haruhi Suzumiya

Haruhi Suzumiya

I am a cute cat, you are not :3
Jan 26, 2021
You only supposed to hug family members and your gf if you have one, nobody else especially men, a handshake is enough, if you wanna look "cute" smile or smth dude

milkistermoo

milkistermoo

NEET
Dec 2, 2020
You only supposed to hug family members and your gf if you have one, nobody else especially men, a handshake is enough, if you wanna look "cute" smile or smth dude
No you can hug really good friends like Colby Covington and Jorge Masvidal were or Aragorn and Legolas or me and Atila.

Trauma

Trauma

Lost
Apr 3, 2022
You don't hug men, you shake their hand.
I can't hug a guy. Why? Because I can only hug things that are cute. Men are generally not cute. Maybe if a cute feminine twink comes along I'll hug him, but never a normal looking guy.
The idea that being affectionate with other men somehow makes a man's heterosexuality questionable is largely a modern concept. It is the exact opposite of how male friendships should be like.

"[UWSL]In ancient times, men viewed man friendships as the most fulfilling relationship a person could have. Friendships were seen as more noble than marital love with a woman because women were seen as inferior. Aristotle and other philosophers extolled the virtues of platonic relationships- a relationship of emotional connection without sexual intimacy. Platonic relationships, according to Aristotle, were the ideal.[/UWSL]

During this period of time, the idea of the heroic friendship developed. The heroic friendship was a friendship between two men that was intense on an emotional and intellectual level. Examples of heroic friendships exist in many ancient texts from the Bible (David and Jonathan) to ancient Greek writings. A man friendship that captures the essence of the heroic friendship is the relationship between Achilles and Patroclus.

Achilles and Patroclus fought together during the Trojan War and had a close relationship. A really close relationship. When Hector killed Patroclus, Achilles was beside himself for days. He smeared his body in ash and fasted in lamentation. After the funeral, Achilles, filled with a mighty rage, took to the battlefield to avenge the death of his best friend."

We also have examples from 19th century america of male friendship and affection, even holding hands with another man you are friends with was seen as acceptable and normal.

"Man friendships during the 19th century were marked by an intense bond and filled with deeply held feeling and sentimentality. Man friendships in many instances had a similar intensity as romantic relationships between men and women. Essentially, it was a continuation of the heroic friendship of the ancient world, coupled with the emphasis on emotion common to the Romantic Age. A fervent bond did not necessarily imply a sexual relationship; the idea that these ardent friendships in some way compromised a man’s heterosexuality is largely a modern conception.

Men during this time freely used endearing language with each other in daily interaction and letters. For example, Daniel Webster, an American senator and one of this country’s greatest orators, often began his letters to male friends with “My lovely boy,” and ended them with “Very affectionately yours.” Even letters by manly man Theodore Roosevelt to his friends were filled with sentimental language that would make most men today rather uncomfortable."

None of these men who used such language were seen as less of a man for the things they did.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/people/relationships/the-history-and-nature-of-man-friendships/ Source for all of this.

Looksmax Refugee

Looksmax Refugee

-
Feb 28, 2021
The idea that being affectionate with other men somehow makes a man's heterosexuality questionable is largely a modern concept. It is the exact opposite of how male friendships should be like.

"[UWSL]In ancient times, men viewed man friendships as the most fulfilling relationship a person could have. Friendships were seen as more noble than marital love with a woman because women were seen as inferior. Aristotle and other philosophers extolled the virtues of platonic relationships- a relationship of emotional connection without sexual intimacy. Platonic relationships, according to Aristotle, were the ideal.[/UWSL]

During this period of time, the idea of the heroic friendship developed. The heroic friendship was a friendship between two men that was intense on an emotional and intellectual level. Examples of heroic friendships exist in many ancient texts from the Bible (David and Jonathan) to ancient Greek writings. A man friendship that captures the essence of the heroic friendship is the relationship between Achilles and Patroclus.

Achilles and Patroclus fought together during the Trojan War and had a close relationship. A really close relationship. When Hector killed Patroclus, Achilles was beside himself for days. He smeared his body in ash and fasted in lamentation. After the funeral, Achilles, filled with a mighty rage, took to the battlefield to avenge the death of his best friend."

We also have examples from 19th century america of male friendship and affection, even holding hands with another man you are friends with was seen as acceptable and normal.

"Man friendships during the 19th century were marked by an intense bond and filled with deeply held feeling and sentimentality. Man friendships in many instances had a similar intensity as romantic relationships between men and women. Essentially, it was a continuation of the heroic friendship of the ancient world, coupled with the emphasis on emotion common to the Romantic Age. A fervent bond did not necessarily imply a sexual relationship; the idea that these ardent friendships in some way compromised a man’s heterosexuality is largely a modern conception.

Men during this time freely used endearing language with each other in daily interaction and letters. For example, Daniel Webster, an American senator and one of this country’s greatest orators, often began his letters to male friends with “My lovely boy,” and ended them with “Very affectionately yours.” Even letters by manly man Theodore Roosevelt to his friends were filled with sentimental language that would make most men today rather uncomfortable."

None of these men who used such language were seen as less of a man for the things they did.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/people/relationships/the-history-and-nature-of-man-friendships/ Source for all of this.
This makes me wanna invest in a friendship, but the thing is it's too shallow these days. Too many of my "friends" play games of social domination on me.

Activity
So far there's no one here