Lifestyle Philosophy for Living: Epicureanism

『 』

『 』

Tat Tvam Asi
Dec 13, 2020
I’ve wanted to start a series of different philosophies for living since I think it would be nice to glean insight from these thinkers. I first want to start with Epicureanism since it seems to be the most viable as a NEET.
A91D1F26 3272 446C A6A4 083F76A825D3

Epicureanism was at odds with two other philosophical schools at the time Plato’s Academy and later the Stoics starting with Zeno of Citum, (Epicurus’s school called the Garden).

One idea hanging around in Athens was of Eudemonia which mean good spirit or good life and thought that ultimately wisdom would lead there.
Different schools had different thoughts of what the ultimate goal was, but Epicurus thought it was pleasure.
I won’t bother with the whole history of it and get right down to what it’s about.

AA1B605A 4050 4DC9 AC41 5E856E67CEFB

Epicurus believed as as the Atomists that everything was made of atoms and materialistic, therefore discarding ideas such as the afterlife, soul, and the belief of gods (or if there is any, they are not concerned with humans).

In this respect, things like fearing death, (of which there is no afterlife) or being consumed by guilt (of which there is no gods) were seeing as barriers to pleasure and happiness.
He saw two types of pleasure, one was static pleasure, like in being full from a meal, and the other being moving like in the process of eating food.
471D41FF E11C 491D 9115 63E13C61A40D

He warned against overindulge in pleasure and to be moderate so that that you could avoid the suffering of doing so.
Epicurus also stressed pleasure of the mind over pleasure of the body, since while the body will always crave more, the mind can be content with livelihood.
In this way ultimate happiness is seen as in no pain in the body and pleasure in the mind. To quote him

“When we say that pleasure is the end and aim, we do not mean the pleasures of the prodigal or the pleasures of sensuality, as we are understood to do by some through ignorance, prejudice or wilful misrepresentation. By pleasure we mean the absence of pain in the body and of trouble in the soul. It is not by an unbroken succession of drinking bouts and of revelry, not by sexual lust, nor the enjoyment of fish and other delicacies of a luxurious table, which produce a pleasant life; it is sober reasoning, searching out the grounds of every choice and avoidance, and banishing those beliefs through which the greatest tumults take possession of the soul.”

44D38334 FA3C 4F1C B45A 8AE54BD845E1
[UWSL]Regarding politics and social obligation, he said that both were unnecessary and were a folly and it is best lived in quiet away from societal concerns, as this did not lend itself to pleasure. He thought to involve yourself with things like that were vain and empty desires that could never be filled[/UWSL]
BA355C9F 2EA7 4613 A6D3 B813F0460F86

On passionate sex and female relationships he said to stay away from as it would rob you of your contentment, to quote him

“I learn that your bodily inclination leans most keenly towards sexual intercourse. If you neither violate the laws nor disturb well established morals nor sadden someone close to you, nor strain your body, nor spend what is needed for necessities, use your own choice as you wish. It is sure difficult to imagine, however, that none of these would be a part of sex because sex never benefitted anyone.”

He highly stressed friendship stating the friendship is one of the high pleasures in life.
7F601887 7C76 46DE A71C A0A430D2C76E

A few key takes from Epicurus for life as a NEET (which his Garden was like a NEET hangout where his students and himself had a place where they discussed philosophy and engaged in friendship, food, and living the good life)

Be a minimalist, this is also similar in Buddhist philosophy, but seeing as getting a nice car or trying to get some beautiful house caused more suffering to work and get those things, and ultimately they won’t make us happy, it would be best to abstain from them.

Another would to abandon perspectives that cause suffering, but think of things that makes one happy.

Abandoning artificial, high maintenance pleasures is also ideal

In the end eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we may perish.
c14a1a42-8725-4643-a92f-79f0807aa18f-webp.26814

Last edited:
『 』

『 』

Tat Tvam Asi
Dec 13, 2020
Very interesting read, you're very good at making things interesting. Looking forward to more of these.
Thank you bro, I think I’ll make the next one soon, I’m glad you enjoy it

K

kaang

lurkercel
Oct 29, 2021
Contempt for money is just another trick of The Jew to keep the poor without it

Iberianeet

Iberianeet

NEET
Mar 10, 2023
I’ve wanted to start a series of different philosophies for living since I think it would be nice to glean insight from these thinkers. I first want to start with Epicureanism since it seems to be the most viable as a NEET.
View attachment 26809
Epicureanism was at odds with two other philosophical schools at the time Plato’s Academy and later the Stoics starting with Zeno of Citum, (Epicurus’s school called the Garden).

One idea hanging around in Athens was of Eudemonia which mean good spirit or good life and thought that ultimately wisdom would lead there.
Different schools had different thoughts of what the ultimate goal was, but Epicurus thought it was pleasure.
I won’t bother with the whole history of it and get right down to what it’s about.

View attachment 26812

Epicurus believed as as the Atomists that everything was made of atoms and materialistic, therefore discarding ideas such as the afterlife, soul, and the belief of gods (or if there is any, they are not concerned with humans).

In this respect, things like fearing death, (of which there is no afterlife) or being consumed by guilt (of which there is no gods) were seeing as barriers to pleasure and happiness.
He saw two types of pleasure, one was static pleasure, like in being full from a meal, and the other being moving like in the process of eating food.
View attachment 26818

He warned against overindulge in pleasure and to be moderate so that that you could avoid the suffering of doing so.
Epicurus also stressed pleasure of the mind over pleasure of the body, since while the body will always crave more, the mind can be content with livelihood.
In this way ultimate happiness is seen as in no pain in the body and pleasure in the mind. To quote him

“When we say that pleasure is the end and aim, we do not mean the pleasures of the prodigal or the pleasures of sensuality, as we are understood to do by some through ignorance, prejudice or wilful misrepresentation. By pleasure we mean the absence of pain in the body and of trouble in the soul. It is not by an unbroken succession of drinking bouts and of revelry, not by sexual lust, nor the enjoyment of fish and other delicacies of a luxurious table, which produce a pleasant life; it is sober reasoning, searching out the grounds of every choice and avoidance, and banishing those beliefs through which the greatest tumults take possession of the soul.”

View attachment 26815[UWSL]Regarding politics and social obligation, he said that both were unnecessary and were a folly and it is best lived in quiet away from societal concerns, as this did not lend itself to pleasure. He thought to involve yourself with things like that were vain and empty desires that could never be filled[/UWSL]
View attachment 26821

On passionate sex and female relationships he said to stay away from as it would rob you of your contentment, to quote him

“I learn that your bodily inclination leans most keenly towards sexual intercourse. If you neither violate the laws nor disturb well established morals nor sadden someone close to you, nor strain your body, nor spend what is needed for necessities, use your own choice as you wish. It is sure difficult to imagine, however, that none of these would be a part of sex because sex never benefitted anyone.”

He highly stressed friendship stating the friendship is one of the high pleasures in life.
View attachment 26817

A few key takes from Epicurus for life as a NEET (which his Garden was like a NEET hangout where his students and himself had a place where they discussed philosophy and engaged in friendship, food, and living the good life)

Be a minimalist, this is also similar in Buddhist philosophy, but seeing as getting a nice car or trying to get some beautiful house caused more suffering to work and get those things, and ultimately they won’t make us happy, it would be best to abstain from them.

Another would to abandon perspectives that cause suffering, but think of things that makes one happy.

Abandoning artificial, high maintenance pleasures is also ideal

In the end eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we may perish.
c14a1a42-8725-4643-a92f-79f0807aa18f-webp.26814
Abstein bodily desires... me with a energy drink addiction oof so over

Activity
So far there's no one here