I wish I liked something enough to be motivated to master it.

anon1822

anon1822

Banned
Apr 5, 2021
I've talked a lot about how I tried hard to find any interest and I can't muster a genuine interest in anything.

But I can't express how much I feel the need to be a ... master at something, an expert. Every time I see a master in their field, be it chess player, boxer, programmer, actor, artist etc... I always get this primal urge to be the best or at least very good at something.

But it'll never happen. My anhedonic brain has been like this for too long, I just can't have an interest in anything apparently. Much less strong enough to properly motivate me.

That would be true fulfillment for me. Finding something I like more than just rotting in bed browsing the internet. Wouldn't even have to master it tbh, merely having an interest that makes me want to do something more than lying in bed would be fantastic. But it's been years and apparently I just don't like anything.

Nakiami

Nakiami

THAINEETs
Mar 16, 2021
Daily reminder : be the best = only 1, therefore aim to be the best is unrealistic, I've watched random youtube video about 70% rule, When you do something aim to reach 70% of your standards (it's works for me tbh)

Most normies I know don't have any hobbies btw. they have jobs and that's it, when they don't have time they will brag how hard working they are, when they buy new things, have a new bf/gf, travel etc. they will show how cool they are.

Atila

Atila

xiǎo bái liǎn / King Vamp
Dec 2, 2020
i think you need to put in at least 10 000 hours to master something

anon1822

anon1822

Banned
Apr 5, 2021
I really wish I liked something enough to want to put in those hours. Something that I'd like so much I'd prefer to do that over just sitting in bed with my laptop.
Daily reminder : be the best = only 1, therefore aim to be the best is unrealistic, I've watched random youtube video about 70% rule, When you do something aim to reach 70% of your standards (it's works for me tbh)

Most normies I know don't have any hobbies btw. they have jobs and that's it, when they don't have time they will brag how hard working they are, when they buy new things, have a new bf/gf, travel etc. they will show how cool they are.
I don't really need to be the best, but I would like to be really good, an expert at something. But as it stands, I've tried really hard to find that something and I just don't like anything enough to invest any amount of time in it. I'd much rather just lie in bed with my laptop. And I won't become good at something if I don't genuinely enjoy and want to do it.

NeverEndingWinter

NeverEndingWinter

NEET
Dec 7, 2020
Yeah, I feel the same way. I feel completely overwhelmed when I think of getting into something and trying it out. The only things I enjoy are shitposting and vidya

K

Kaz

-
Nov 29, 2020
Water fasting is a no-brainer. The longer you go, the more discomfort you feel and it's soon impossible to be comfortable laying down. It's one of the ways to factory reset yourself... Or so I've heard.
Document it on Jewtube.

Eren

Eren

‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏
Nov 28, 2020
motivation is fleeting you need discipline

Unemployed

Unemployed

McMahonist
Nov 28, 2020
That myth is from the pen of Malcom Gladwell. Just no.

I've talked a lot about how I tried hard to find any interest and I can't muster a genuine interest in anything.

But I can't express how much I feel the need to be a ... master at something, an expert. Every time I see a master in their field, be it chess player, boxer, programmer, actor, artist etc... I always get this primal urge to be the best or at least very good at something.

But it'll never happen. My anhedonic brain has been like this for too long, I just can't have an interest in anything apparently. Much less strong enough to properly motivate me.

That would be true fulfillment for me. Finding something I like more than just rotting in bed browsing the internet. Wouldn't even have to master it tbh, merely having an interest that makes me want to do something more than lying in bed would be fantastic. But it's been years and apparently I just don't like anything.

Use your intellect. Use your freedom to think.

You can't become the leader by following other people. You have to lead. You have to start doing your own thing.

Create and play your own games. Stop seeking for other peoples' validation like domesticated dogs.

Look at this painting.

1280px-Hieronymus_Bosch_051.jpg

The showman's game isn't about magic. It's about stealing money.

He would win even if his trick failed.

So don't make the game of chess the game.

You can aim for a psychological win; troll, make them lose their temper, waste their time etc.

This way you can win your game by losing the game of chess.

The real world don't have any rules.

Why do you want to cuck yourself by trying to master the games other people have created before you?

If you want to become the leader, you have to lead.

Brother Wagecuck

Brother Wagecuck

Work and Pray
Nov 28, 2020
i thought you liked youtube videos? have you tried reviewing sitcoms on a youtube channel?

Atila

Atila

xiǎo bái liǎn / King Vamp
Dec 2, 2020

You can't become the leader by following other people. You have to lead. You have to start doing your own thing.

Create and play your own games. Stop seeking for other peoples' validation like domesticated dogs.

Look at this painting.

You can aim for a psychological win; troll, make them lose their temper, waste their time etc.

Why do you want to cuck yourself by trying to master the games other people have created before you?

This is an incel forum....

U

UnknownEntity

NEET
May 6, 2021

Look at this painting.

Such an interesting point of view, but quite hard to actually put in action

anon1822

anon1822

Banned
Apr 5, 2021
i thought you liked youtube videos? have you tried reviewing sitcoms on a youtube channel?
Ehh that was a temporary, lazy thought tbh. I looked into it and the chances of actually getting anywhere with youtube are super, super small nowadays, 0.0001% and only if you do things that people search for. Gone are the days where you can make it with just good content, now you gotta use tools to find trending keywords and manipulate SEO to your advantage and make videos accordingly. Also video editing is a lot of work and I don't enjoy it one bit.

BrettyBoy

BrettyBoy

Grammarmaxxer.
Nov 30, 2020
If you remember something you’re good at that you haven’t done in awhile, go back to it.

Lain

Lain

NEET
Jul 19, 2021

I was like this for a very long time, I would try all sorts of hobbies out and stop doing them virtually immediately. I tried programming multiple times, I tried the piano, boxing and I also went down a list of hobbies similarly. But others ARE capable of getting interested in a subject and keeping that interest, why is that? That's eventually the question I thought of, why am I incapable of dedicating time to a hobby but someone else is. The answer I eventually came to and implemented that worked well is that there's 2 huge reasons. 1) it's simply neurotransmitters firing off at a higher rate and 2) they've made it an easy habit. Think of it this way, the most popular method to treat "ADHD" is to give someone a pill that effectively raises their dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine to insane levels. The person then thinks that whatever they are doing is incredibly important. I have seen negros take adderall and then decorate their shoes for 8 hours straight or people fill out surveys without a break for 8 hours.

I don't take adderall, the point I'm getting at here is that you can modify these neurotransmitters to fire off more often. Now at the base common sense level, there's a few things that do this. Exercising, sleeping well and eating well. If you've ever slept like shit, laid around doing nothing or ate a shit ton of processed sugary foods that spike your insulin hard and dump it, you will notice very quickly that you are not in a optimal state. You are irritable, it's hard to learn, it's hard to move, you feel depressed, this is due to you abusing your body. So at the base level, before you think of hobbies, fix this. Now, once you have that fixed (or if it's already good) then I would recommend taking a combo of cheap supplements to boost these levels of neurotransmitters. This combo is choline, uridine and fish oil. It is shown in studies to essentially put your mind in the "ideal" state to learn something. I would also recommend small amounts of caffeine, personally I drink tea.

Now the second point is overlooked a lot but it's fairly important. It's shown in various studies that the people who become "masters" at something minimize the difficulty. You can do this in plenty of ways. Let me use an example. Let's say you want to become physically fit, who do you think is going to become stronger over the course of a year?

Person A) They bought a barbell, they've bought weights and their workout equipment is within 5 seconds of walking. They physically see their workout equipment often and are reminded "Hey, I should workout!"
Person B) The gym is 10 miles away. They have to remind themselves to work out because there is nothing in their nearby environment, they're relying on willpower to go the 10 miles there and back.

In the same sense, you want to prime your environment for whatever it is you want to accomplish and it will make it easy. If you want to lose weight, you don't want to keep processed foods within eye level (and ideally, have none at all) - if they are not there, your mind doesn't have the stimuli to think about it. We are highly reactive to our environments and they shape our thoughts and opinions more then you think. If you want to learn something, you do this similarly. I've been learning Japanese the last few months, I have my computer set in Japanese. I have my toolbar in Japanese. I have little notes around my house in Japanese. When I see it, I'm constantly reminded to learn Japanese.

A bit of a rant but trust me on this, this is the best answer I've come up when I was faced with exactly your dilemma and I think it's just about the best thing you can do.

Lain

Lain

NEET
Jul 19, 2021
Also, try doing a hobby consistently for 30 minutes a day. If it makes it easier, drink some coffee or tea beforehand. Make it a habit. After you drink coffee or tea, you immediately do this habit for 30 minutes a day. Do this for at least a month before you think of giving it up. 30 minutes a day is nothing to a NEET but it may enrich your life in a unique way to have something to improve on. Personally, I love being just a little bit stronger today. A little bit faster today. A little bit more knowledge about Japanese. It makes my life feel a little bit richer, I feel happier, I laugh more. I enjoy my other hobbies (video games, anime, etc) and don't feel as if they're escaping from my emotions or a coping mechanism. They are simply a fun way to pass the time.

Gooply

Gooply

Sadcel
Aug 9, 2021
I looked into it and the chances of actually getting anywhere with youtube are super, super small nowadays, 0.0001% and only if you do things that people search for. Gone are the days where you can make it with just good content, now you gotta use tools to find trending keywords and manipulate SEO to your advantage and make videos accordingly. Also video editing is a lot of work and I don't enjoy it one bit.
That would be true fulfillment for me. Finding something I like more than just rotting in bed browsing the internet.
When I try find offline hobbies, a lot of them seem kind of stupid or consumerist, like collecting things or sports fanning. I feel like most people develop their hobbies without thinking about it and having to try pathetically limits you, like how you would perceive a birdwatcher or something. To be honest though a lot of hobbies like cooking I wish I could do but am just too lazy to.

The ideal hobby is Sanctuary Maintenance - To draw all "Working Purpose" caring for a small secluded lifestyle block in south Russia. Growing up my family knew a retired farmer who grew all his own food and watched TV smoking cigarettes with his wife all day. He lived to be 90 and remained pretty happy after she died just going to cultural events and lifemogging his farmhands.

Activity
So far there's no one here