How to improve your writing: Part 2

Unemployed

Unemployed

McMahonist
Nov 28, 2020

Note: here’s the link to the first part of this series

I gave neets some generalized and simplified writing tips in my previous post. I stated earlier that the more text there is, the fewer readers there are. It sounds really smart, but I lied – it’s not always true, to be honest. Although I think that the tips in that post are good and that there are lots of writers who will find them useful, it should be made clear that the tips I gave are for writers who wish not to bore out their readers. You shouldn’t follow them always and everywhere. In this post, I will explain why that is.

“It’s not always good to be articulate. Articulating your thoughts and ideas well can hurt you.”

The search for information

Where do people go when they have questions they want to be answered? Do they consult the old wise sage, the priest, the librarian, Encyclopedia Britannia, the dictionary? No, they go to the search engine of their choice. The most used search engine in the western world is Google, in China it’s Baidu, in Japan it’s Yahoo!, and in South Korea, it’s Naver – although the propaganda teams of Google and Amazon are trying to make the Western people think otherwise.
trivia: Wikipedia isn’t the most used online encyclopedia in South Korea – it’s Namu Wiki.
Note: Never let Alexa Rankings fool you. Alexa Ranking is the biggest con on the internet after cryptocurrencies.

https://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries/KR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naver

https://www.quora.com/As-of-now-do-Koreans-use-Google-or-Naver-more

See Season 16 GIF by The Simpsons

People have replaced encyclopedias and their librarians – well-curated information – with search engines”.

Intelligence vs Artificial Intelligence

“So what?”, you might ask. “What’s the point of talking about search engines in a post that is about improving your writing and about writing in general?”. Well here’s the thing, mate, and let this gigantic black pill sink in. Google does not rank websites based on the quality of the writing. The algorithm just analyzes the text and the artificial intelligence tries to figure out what the page is about. And this algorithm – “the artificial intelligence” – is not what we mean when we call a person intelligent.

“Don’t confuse artificial intelligence with intelligence.”

computer GIF

Humans vs computers

See, humans and computers value information differently. We, humans, know that it’s possible to do and say more with fewer words. We even have an idiom for it: less is more. But the computers, Google’s “artificial intelligence” seems to think that long posts contain more information than short posts – and it’s true if you ignore the fact that we humans get easily tired because we’re not some robots or computers that can work endlessly. When we think about information, we don’t think about megabytes or gigabytes, unless we're talking about the nerds.

dont care lol GIF

"People are not computers, duh. And when people say “that article was very informative”, they don’t mean that the article contained lots of megabytes or gigabytes. But to computers and artificial intelligence, information is nothing but bytes”.

Trivia: DuckDuckGo was the first search engine that valued the users’ time by giving them quick answers to a plethora of questions without making them click external links – the engineers working for the billion-dollar company, Google, just copied DuckDuckGo.

Be Boring

When you ask people if they would like to read text that does not go straight to the point or text that goes straight to the point (well articulated), they would always choose the latter, I believe. This goes against the conventional wisdom English teachers, copywriters, and those who teach people how to write text for human consumption swear their lives on; that short, precise, and well-articulated text is better than long text – text that most people would find boring.

It’s not that the AI powering Google search engine thinks that long posts are better than short posts. Long posts just contain more keywords and words the people looking for quick answers to their questions can type in the search box. You might wonder if there are lots of people who abuse this “vulnerability” in Google’s algorithm. Well, the short answer is yes. The long answer is yes, absolutely, without a doubt.

Bored Cabin Fever GIF by chuber channel

“People want to get straight to the point – computers don’t care”.

Literature: Essays, Books, Blog Articles

So why do our English teachers and writing coaches ask us to be precise and to avoid writing too much if that’s what writers should do to please Google’s algorithm? Because they don’t do anything else than read and write essays after essays – and they teach ambitious people how to write prose and poetry. If they knew how to write prose that ranks well on the search engines, they wouldn’t be teachers. They would get strokes if they knew that people who aren’t precise and don’t seem to value good writing earn more money than those who try to be as precise as possible and those who articulate their thoughts and ideas with care. The teachers know everything about writing for humans, and nothing about writing for robots and the stupid “artificial intelligence”.

Journee De La Femme Reaction GIF by US National Archives

“English teachers and writing coaches know how to write to people – they don’t know how to write to search engines”.

Thoughts About Writing Essays

So here you have it. I hope that you’re blackpilled about writing after reading this post. This post resembles a typical article you’ll find on thousands of blogs Google shows in the SERP (Search Engine Result Pages), and let's be real, it’s horrible. DO NOT WRITE LIKE THIS TO PEOPLE. This post could be MUCH MUCH shorter, but it isn’t.

I’ve found out that writing long posts can take less time than writing a short post. The reason why this is the case is that trying to fit all my complex ideas, thoughts, and insights requires more mental energy than writing a post as stupid and long as this.

Very Funny Reaction GIF

Conclusion

I stand behind the tips I gave in my last post about becoming a better writer. You will improve your text if you follow my instructions. You can think it like this: the last post was about writing for humans, and this post is about writing for search engines. This is stuff you don’t hear about your English teacher because they are clueless when it comes to writing for blogs etc.

Lmao Lol GIF by Originals

Last edited:
MyNameIsHammurabi

MyNameIsHammurabi

NEET
Dec 15, 2020

I gave neets some generalized and simplified writing tips in my previous post. I stated earlier that the more text there is, the fewer readers there are. It sounds really smart, but I lied – it’s not always true, to be honest. Although I think that the tips in that post are good and that there are lots of writers who will find them useful, it should be made clear that the tips I gave are for writers who wish not to bore out their readers. You shouldn’t follow them always and everywhere. In this post, I will explain why that is.

Where do people go when they have questions they want to be answered? Do they consult the old wise sage, the priest, the librarian, Encyclopedia Britannia, the dictionary? No, they go to the search engine of their choice. The most used search engine in the western world is Google, in China it’s Baidu, in Japan it’s Yahoo!, and in South Korea, it’s Naver – although the propaganda teams of Google and Amazon are trying to make the Western people think otherwise.

“So what?”, you might ask. “What’s the point of talking about search engines in a post that is about improving your writing and about writing in general?”. Well here’s the thing, mate, and let this gigantic black pill sink in. Google does not rank websites based on the quality of the writing. The algorithm just analyzes the text and the artificial intelligence tries to figure out what the page is about. And this algorithm – “the artificial intelligence” – is not what we mean when we call a person intelligent.

computer GIF

Humans vs computers

See, humans and computers value information differently. We, humans, know that it’s possible to do and say more with fewer words. We even have an idiom for it: less is more. But the computers, Google’s “artificial intelligence” seems to think that long posts contain more information than short posts – and it’s true if you ignore the fact that we humans get easily tired because we’re not some robots or computers that can work endlessly. When we think about information, we don’t think about megabytes or gigabytes, unless we're talking about the nerds.

dont care lol GIF

Be Boring

When you ask people if they would like to read text that does not go straight to the point or text that goes straight to the point (well articulated), they would always choose the latter, I believe. This goes against the conventional wisdom English teachers, copywriters, and those who teach people how to write text for human consumption swear their lives on; that short, precise, and well-articulated text is better than long text – text that most people would find boring.

It’s not that the AI powering Google search engine thinks that long posts are better than short posts. Long posts just contain more keywords and words the people looking for quick answers to their questions can type in the search box. You might wonder if there are lots of people who abuse this “vulnerability” in Google’s algorithm. Well, the short answer is yes. The long answer is yes, absolutely, without a doubt.

So why do our English teachers and writing coaches ask us to be precise and to avoid writing too much if that’s what writers should do to please Google’s algorithm? Because they don’t do anything else than read and write essays after essays – and they teach ambitious people how to write prose and poetry. If they knew how to write prose that ranks well on the search engines, they wouldn’t be teachers. They would get strokes if they knew that people who aren’t precise and don’t seem to value good writing earn more money than those who try to be as precise as possible and those who articulate their thoughts and ideas with care. The teachers know everything about writing for humans, and nothing about writing for robots and the stupid “artificial intelligence”.

So here you have it. I hope that you’re blackpilled about writing after reading this post. This post resembles a typical article you’ll find on thousands of blogs Google shows in the SERP (Search Engine Result Pages), and let's be real, it’s horrible. DO NOT WRITE LIKE THIS TO PEOPLE. This post could be MUCH MUCH shorter, but it isn’t.

I’ve found out that writing long posts can take less time than writing a short post. The reason why this is the case is that trying to fit all my complex ideas, thoughts, and insights requires more mental energy than writing a post as stupid and long as this.

Very Funny Reaction GIF

Conclusion

I stand behind the tips I gave in my last post about becoming a better writer. You will improve your text if you follow my instructions. You can think it like this: the last post was about writing for humans, and this post is about writing for search engines. This is stuff you don’t hear about your English teacher because they are clueless when it comes to writing for blogs etc.

now i know how to take my forum game to the next level

Unemployed

Unemployed

McMahonist
Nov 28, 2020
High effort af
I agree. My post was only a little over 1000 words long. I'm trying to write posts that are at least 1500 words long for my blog. I still need to practice how to turn simple sentences into long paragraphs. As you can see, I'm not very good at this. I've been trying to do the exact opposite – turning long paragraphs into simple sentences – during the last few years.

Last edited:
『 』

『 』

Tat Tvam Asi
Dec 13, 2020

computer GIF

Humans vs computers

dont care lol GIF

Be Boring

Very Funny Reaction GIF

Conclusion

Excellent post, very comfortable to read and informative.

I often make the mistake by not making my posts readable doing the various things stated in this post. I will try to change that seeing that I actually want people to read what I write

Thank you!

Activity
So far there's no one here